Registered Dietitian Andrea Mathis Shares Healthy Recipes for Summer
Andrea Mathis, Alabama-based registered dietitian nutritionist and food blogger shares her favorite healthy recipes for summer. Andrea believes in achieving optimal health by incorporating healthier eating habits into your lifestyle and making healthy eating fun!
Summertime is near which means that it's time for some much-needed relaxation and a little fun in the sun! Even though we're preparing for our summer plans, we can't neglect our bodies and our health. During these warm & sunny months, it is very important that we stay hydrated and nourished. Keeping a water bottle on hand is always a great idea, as well as taking advantage of fresh produce during its peak season. In addition to eating a well-balanced diet, it's also important to adapt a healthy supplement regimen, such as Nurish by Nature Made, to help fill in those nutrient gaps.
Here are a few recipes, including healthy summer salad recipes to help keep you on the right track:
BLACKBERRY BALSAMIC AVOCADO CHICKEN SALAD
- 5 cups spring salad greens
- 1 cup radishes thinly sliced
- 2 avocados sliced
- 1 & ½ cups grape tomatoes sliced in half
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups pre-cooked grilled chicken strips
- 1 cup frozen Oregon blackberries thawed
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
For the Blackberry Vinaigrette:
- 1 cup frozen Oregon blackberries thawed & pureed
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- Start by making the Blackberry Vinaigrette. Add all of the vinaigrette ingredients to a mason jar, and seal tightly with a lid. Shake until all ingredients are combined and set aside.
- Next, arrange the spring salad greens, radishes, grape tomatoes, avocados, almonds, chicken, blackberries, and feta in a large bowl or platter.
- Sprinkle with feta, and top with the Blackberry Vinaigrette. Enjoy!
GARDEN FRESH VEGGIE PEPPERONI PIZZA
- 1refrigerated pizza dough
- ¼cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1cup fresh basil finely chopped
- 3garlic cloves minced
- ¾cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1red bell pepper sliced
- 1yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1tomato chopped
- ½purple onion sliced
- ½cup sliced mushrooms
- 18-20slices pepperoni
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a medium bowl, combine the chopped basil, garlic, and olive oil. Set aside.
- Roll the pizza dough out onto a large sheet of parchment paper or aluminum foil. Spread the basil mixture across the pizza dough, followed by the mozzarella cheese. Arrange vegetables and pepperoni on top, followed by a sprinkle of salt & pepper to taste.
- *For a golden-brown crust, brush the edges of the crust lightly with an egg wash.
- Place pizza on a large baking sheet and bake for about 20-22 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown.
- Add a few fresh basil leaves before serving and Enjoy!
MINTY WATERMELON BLUEBERRY SALAD
- 6cups cubed watermelon
- 1 & 1/2cups blueberries
- 2tablespoons finely chopped mint leaves
- Juice of one lime
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon, blueberries, and mint. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the fruit. Gently toss and serve.
Andrea Mathis, MA, RDN, LN
Andrea is an Alabama-based registered dietitian nutritionist and owner of the healthy food blogs, Beautiful Eats & Things, and Little Eats & Things where she shares beautiful and delicious healthy recipes. She is also the author of The Complete Book of Smoothies. After completing her graduate studies at the University of Alabama, she worked in healthcare settings including clinical, public health, and long-term care. Andrea believes in achieving optimal health by incorporating healthier eating habits into your lifestyle and making healthy eating fun! When she’s not running after her two boys, she enjoys creating content to encourage self-love and promote body positivity.