Add a Podcast to Your Wellness Routine
Listening to a podcast while running, walking or working out is a great way to engage your mind, raise your spirits, and enhance your health and wellness routine.
So press “pause” on your workout music playlist and check out this list of some of the best podcasts to listen to while you’re keeping fit.
Calm Your Mind
Training your mind is just as important as training your body. Add these podcasts to your fitness routine to help your mind become more peaceful, less stressed and better able to find joy in every moment.
- Ten Percent Happier with Dan Harris – A former ABC News anchor, Dan turned to meditation after an on-camera anxiety attack. His podcast goes beyond meditation to help listeners cultivate healthy mental traits like happiness, serenity, compassion, and connection.
- Radio Headspace – Start the day right with this podcast based on the popular meditation app. Hosted by Headspace co-founder Andy Puddicombe, each episode explores topics like uncovering new talents, navigating difficult conversations, and how to be okay with not being okay.
Dreamers, Doers and Surfers
Achieving a personal goal requires courage, resilience, and a willingness to step outside your comfort zone. Find motivation and inspiration in these stories of ordinary people doing extraordinary things.
- Outside Podcast – Outside magazine brings its storytelling legacy to a podcast that inspires, enlightens, and informs. From a surfer stranded in the open sea, to dreamers building a cabin in the woods, to a blogger learning to sing, each episode tells a tale of perseverance and personal growth.
- How I Built This with Guy Raz – NPR correspondent Guy Raz traces the personal journeys of innovators, entrepreneurs and idealists and the movements they built. Each story illustrates the traits we all need to succeed – optimism, determination, and a tolerance for uncertainty and risk.
Live, Love, LOL
Having a good laugh can do a lot of good for your mind and your body. Here are some popular comedy podcasts that just might reduce your stress and improve your mood.
- My Brother, My Brother and Me – Brothers Justin, Travis, and Griffin McElroy offer funny free advice on life’s most perplexing – and sometimes peculiar – problems. In each episode, the brothers dispense their own brand of witty wisdom, sharing insights that are entertaining and enlightening (well, sort of).
- How Did This Get Made? – If you love movies and love to laugh, this is the one for you. Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael and Jason Mantzoukas make fun of flicks they love to hate. From the obviously awful like "Sharknado 3" to big-budget bombs like “Cats”, you’ll get some good laughs from some bad movies.
Informed and In Shape
Staying informed about current events can improve your perspective on the world around you. These podcasts can help you keep up with the news while you’re keeping in shape.
- The Daily – Featuring the latest news from The New York Times, each episode includes interviews with Times journalists who summarize and analyze the top stories of the day. The conversational tone of the show and host Michael Barbaro’s unassuming style make the news a little less confusing.
- Today, Explained – Host Sean Rameswaram and his guests explain the most important stories of the day with a casual attitude and a touch of humor. Whether deciphering a coup d'état or explaining what “vote-a-rama” means, the show turns complicated topics into entertaining content.
Everybody has a story to tell, and those stories can spark conversations that help us understand ourselves better. These podcasts feature enlightening discussions with entertainers, experts, and everyday people.
- Armchair Expert – This conversational podcast “celebrates the messiness of being human,” as host Dax Shepard and his guests share stories of their struggles, strengths, and shortcomings. A recovering addict, Dax shines a light on the challenges and setbacks that lead to personal growth.
- the mindbodygreen podcast – Host Jason Wachob, founder and co-CEO of mindbodygreen, holds engaging conversations with leaders in the world of well-being who share their personal journeys – where they started, the struggles they endured, and the lessons they learned along the way.
So take your health and wellness routine to the next level by picking a good podcast to listen to while working out. It’s a great way to engage your mind, spark your imagination, and stay motivated on your journey to a better you.